24/04/2013

FASHION YOUR INTERIOR - How it works...


 So I've realised that I have included mainly my presentation boards (moodboards, design and illustration boards), and but not so much of the work that goes into making the boards...or even the work that starts off any project/collection.

I have been looking at some of my photos from Paris, particularly the Arc de Triomphe, the glass pyramid and the statues/sculptures in the Louvre. Following on from that, I have looked at a couple more places that had glass as the main structure. Three things I had been focusing on while doing my designs:
1)The interior in which you can see an exterior
2)The contrast between modern and classic
3)The theme of 'nude'


Usually a sketchbook is required...
 
This will usually contain primary images, drawings, quick first hand sketches, colour alterations, colour palettes, trend research, notes, ideas - the whole lot!
 
Below I have included one of my pencil sketch done for this project. As you can see from my moodboard (found in post titled 'Fashion Your Interior'), one of the buildings I focused on was the Arc de Triomphe (due to my not-so-recent trip to Paris). I chose to focus on the Arc de Triomphe as it challenged the idea of 'Interior', yet still fit the brief. Once I had gotten past the concept of someone having to climb the extreme height to carve something so finely detailed - I was mesmerized. Needless to say, I wanted to replicate some of the patterns to incorporate them in my designs...
 
 
Below, is one of the watercolour paintings I had done over the Easter break of one of the tiles on the ceiling of the Arc. Knowing that the image was going to be alterated - and more importantly - shrunk, I still wanted to include as much detail as time (and a thicker brush) would allow me. Overall, I think as an image alone, it's not much to look at, however replicated to form a print improved the look.
 
 
 
Perhaps it was the bolder colours, or perhaps just the fact that the scale allowed for more detail, but I think as a painting this one turned out more effective. Also painted in watercolour, however, I think the use of the pen scribbles provided a contrast in colours against the pale yellows.
 
 
For some reason, despite having used Adobe Photoshop multiple times in the past, the concept still amazes me - how with just a few clicks your image is capable of changing size, colour, brightness and all that is in between! A side note to thank the Knoll brothers, as without them we would all be lost and produce very mediocre images.
 
 
After having produced a functional sketchbook full of drawings and ideas, an effective moodboard and chosen your trends and theme, the next step is to chose the 'models' - or more likely to referred to as templates. Having gained inspiration from my trip to Paris, the countless statues of women half in the nude (from the Louvre) made quite an impression. 'What a good idea', I thought. What a better way to display clothes than on bald, colourless, shoeless women - almost similar to mannequins. And what more to fit my themes (as mentioned at the very top of the page) than women in the very nude. As happy as I was with what I thought was a grand idea, unfortunately the tutor did not seem to think so and demanded that hair and shoes must be present as a way of enhancing a 'look'.
 
 
 
Sulking, on my walk home, I pondered the idea. As much as I tried to convince myself that it was a prejudicial judgement against bald women, I started to see that she had a point...and although my adoration for a bald head on a female runway remains, I decided to overlook my ideas as, after all, it was the tutor who would be marking the work...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment